2017 is here and I’m opening again to queries. I’m looking for a few wonderful authors and author/illustrators to join my list, and to help me find you, here are some detailed wishlist requests and a bit more about me.
- Funny chapter books aimed at 7+ with series potential
- Any MG with a strong voice will get my attention, whatever the subject matter or setting (historical, fantasy, adventure, sci-fi, contemporary, thriller)
- For young adult fiction, I prefer a contemporary setting and I’d love a standout YA romance
- Author/illustrators writing for any age will get my immediate attention, particularly in the chapter book and MG markets
- I’m looking for diverse voices, illustrators and stories across my list, but particularly for chapter books and MG. #ownvoices
More specifically, I would like to see:
- Animal POV for fiction
- Romance, romance, romance for YA – I love to fall in love
- Big concept, commercial MG
- Murder She Wrote for YA – a little campy, with great settings and mysteries
- Funny sci-fi – like HITCHHIKER’S GUIDE for MG
- ‘Movie X’ meets ‘Movie Y’ pitches – I love a good one-line pitch
- Gripping psychological thriller for YA that leaves you guessing until the end.
- YA or MG with a unique way of telling your story – nonlinear narrative, novels in verse, multi POVs, letters, illustrated novels, or something else really creative!
- Books that have obvious potential for animation
- Fantasy MG with a strong voice and smart humour like THE VOYAGE TO MAGICAL NORTH by Claire Fayers.
- Graphic novels for young fiction – on a big reading kick of these recently
- A parody on the paranormal trope, with heart and real stakes. Think a Buffy spoof.
- Funny characters, funny concepts, funny storytelling
- Fiction set during WWII or the Chicago World’s Fair (I love most MG historical fiction)
- Contemporary-ish YA – YA with a twist, like THE SQUARE ROOT OF SUMMER by Harriet Reuter Hapgood.
- My own DASH AND LILY’S BOOK OF DARES – I love dual POV
- Meta books — books that break the fourth wall, a book within a book, books with in-jokes, books that reference themselves
- Chapter books that remind me of shows like Phineas & Ferb, Danger Mouse, Ren & Stimpy
- Author-illustrated picture books
- I love living in Chicago, so if your book has a Chicago setting, please send
- Clever twists on fairytales and nursery rhymes
- Children’s non-fiction — I’m interested in history and science, but want very accessible books with an obvious hook
- Very high fantasy – but if your fantasy is more romance than revolution, then I’m your gal. I need the epic romance in my epic fantasy!
- I’m not the best person for a very depressed MC, teen suicide books or books involving self-harm
- Historical fiction that is very American – Civil War-era for example.
- American sports books – I don’t really understand baseball, American football or hockey as much as I’d need to enjoy these
- Picture book texts – I’m taking a break from these while I focus on my current picture book authors
- I am a twin, so I love twin or sibling stories
- I currently live in Chicago, but previously have called London, New York and Cambridge home – all these settings make me feel nostalgic
- As a kid, I was obsessed with Egyptian history, and could write in fluent hieroglyphics
- Hot Fuzz
- Groundhog Day
Favourite TV shows
- Red Dwarf
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Murder She Wrote
Best book I read in 2016
- THE RADIUM GIRLS by Kate Moore – I would love something similar for the YA or MG market.
- Douglas Adams
- Robert Rankin
- Terry Pratchett
- Jasper Fforde
- Neil Gaiman
- Rainbow Rowell
- Erin Jade Lange
- Jenny Valentine
- Rebecca Stead
- Kate DiCamillo
- Katherine Applegate
- Morris Gleitzman
I’m so excited to be open to queries as I’ve found most of my clients in my submissions – I can’t wait to read your work. You can follow me on twitter for more wishlist requests as the year continues @gemma_cooper
Email your query letter and your first 10 pages pasted into the body of the email to email@example.com